Monday, February 7, 2011

Late PTPTN, Not So Good CNY

Oh Chin Eng  
ptptncnyFirst of all, I hope the beloved Prime Minister who has been graciously sending us Chinese New Year’s greeting through SMS and e-mail will seriously look into this matter.

I am third year Journalism student from Universiti Tunku Abdul Rahman (UTAR), Kampar campus. The reason I write this letter is to express my distraught, sadness, and disappointment over the late loan by the government.

I am one of the recipients of the National Higher Education Fund Corporation (PTPTN). Usually most of us  at UTAR will get the loan a month after the new semester begins. Our semester began on January 17 but until today, I haven’t got any cent from PTPTN. The same goes for other students from other courses.

This late payment of PTPTN loan seriously caused a lot of trouble to students from lower income families like me. It’s even more troublesome especially during this Chinese New Year festive season. I was not able to prepare much for Chinese New Year. I was left with no choice but to buy a new pair of clothes without any new undergarments.

Another major problem I’m facing now is the student bill is already out. I have to pay about RM6000 by this Friday, January 11. I will be fined RM10 per week for late payment. How am I going to pay the bill if I’m penniless? To rub salt to the wound, I am still in arrears in respect of hostel rentals. I have to buy new books for the new semester too.

Since the Chinese New Year came earlier, PTPTN should be given earlier to avoid problems to the students. Why did this problem occurr? Why didn't the relevant authorities take this into consideration? Is it a result of incompetence on the part of our public administration or is this problem technical? How can we survive without the release of funds from PTPTN? I do not wish to eat bread and instant noodles everyday.

I plead to the PTPTN and Ministry of Higher Education to listen and act on my difficulty as soon as possible. Thank you and salam 1Malaysia.

From Oh Chin Eng, a citizen who’s eligible to vote in the coming General Election.

(The views expressed above are entirely that of the author and does not reflect the opinion or endorsement of Malaysian Mirror)